Changing Your Name on Your Passport

If you’ve been trying to find information about changing your name on your passport, the information provided here will help you with this process. Here you will discover how to change your name on your US passport, what will need to be done in case of a marriage or a divorce, and how to successfully use the form DS-5504 for completing this process. After you read the information provided here, you will have a better understanding of how this process works, and what you’ll need to do to successfully make the changes required.

How to Change Your Name on Your US Passport

First off, it’s important to understand the role your passport plays when it comes to identification. Typically, if you are in the US and you get stopped by the police for any type of infraction, they’ll ask you for your driver’s license. However, when you travel abroad, your US drivers license is no longer effective in the only form of identification you will have is your passport. When it comes to international travel, it’ll be important that all the information on your passport is correct and up to date. However, sometimes situations arise where as a name will need to get changed or the information on the passport will need to be updated. These will typically pertain to a person getting married or a couple getting divorced.

Getting Married or Divorced

If you’ve gotten married or divorced, changes will need to be made to your US passport. There is a form available that will allow you to make these changes and updates as needed. By downloading the form DS-5504, you’ll be able to follow the directions for filling out the application and providing additional information that is needed in order to make the necessary changes. If you aren’t sure about the process, you’ll find that there is a step-by-step guide that will show you each item that will need to be filled out on the form, and exactly how you will need to submit that form in order to make the changes required.

Using Form DS-5504

The form DS-5504 will only be used for applicants applying for limited passport book replacement, data correction, and name changes in the United States. Now, it’s important to understand that there are limitations to using this form. One of these limitations will have to do with how long it’s been since your passport was actually issued. Once you’ve filled out the form for updating information in your passport, you’ll find that new photos will be required, all of your current statistical information will need to be updated, and the form will need to be sent to the National Passport Processing Center.

In closing, if you’ve been trying to find additional information that deals with changing your name in your passport, you now have the information required in order to get started. By understanding more about how the process works, the value of your passport, getting married or divorced, and the form DS-5504, you will be able to quickly go out and get the process started in order to get your name changed on your passport as quickly as possible.